Halloumi is our all time favourite cheese. It’s not just us that find it delicious though, did you know in the UK we are the highest consumer of halloumi outside of Cyprus?
We’ve paired our squeaky cheese with zingy orange, fennel, cranberries and fresh rocket leaves. We finished with a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds to give it some crunch. The flavours from the fennel and orange pair perfectly together; with the aniseed taste of the fennel and the zesty tang from the orange.
Halloumi also has a high melting point, which makes this salad perfect for BBQs, as the cheese can be fried or grilled, withstanding the intense heat. It’s the perfect meat alternative for vegetarians.
Our top tip for buying halloumi would be to look for varieties made from sheep milk in Cyprus, as these tend to be the tastiest and of the highest quality. Another top tip is that halloumi can keep for months once it’s opened, all you have to do is submerge it in salted water and refrigerate. Every reason to make this salad now!
- 1 fennel
- 1 orange
- 125g halloumi
- 70g rocket leaves
- 30g cranberries
- 1 tbsp dill (chopped) (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat a frying pan to a medium heat and add the coconut oil.
- Slice the halloumi and place it onto the frying pan. Fry until golden brown on each side.
- In the meantime, slice the fennel into strips.
- Place the rocket, fennel, and cranberries to the salad.
- Chop the skin off the orange and add to the salad. Sprinkle on the pumpkin seeds and dill (if using).
- Add the halloumi to the salad, once cooked and cooled slightly.
- To make the dressing (you can do this whilst the halloumi is cooling down), whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the salad and serve.